Friday, February 23, 2007

No Child.....Left Behind?????

NCLB.....every educators favorite four letters! These four letters seem to have caused more headaches and drama while overall being a good idea. It is a good idea to make teachers accountable.....however, it is also a good idea to make students and parents accountable as well. It is a good idea to assess students' growth and education.....however, did I miss the class when we changed philosophies and now one assessment fits every child???? If I did, could someone give me the notes (I'm on campus on Tuesdays!) It is a good idea for there to be consequences for schools continually doing poorly....however, is the best idea to take away FUNDING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Funding helps pay for teacher training. Funding buys new and up to date computer equipment that teachers can use to reach students. Funding helps create after school programs that more students can attend. All of these are ways to improve the low achieving schools and yet....it is being taken away. How does this tie into a technology class? I have to go back to funding. Without the funding the low performing school may not be able to get up to date equipment or enough equipment for all of the students to use. Without the funding there is no chance of the school having or creating special professional development classes for the teachers. (Moving away from the tech class for again) without the funding the school will probably not improve to the necessary standards.

In another class a letter that was passed around through e-mail was read to us by the professor. I have found it online and included a link to it. When you look at NCLB with this perspective, it is easy to find the flaws in every educators favorite program.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/nclb_sports.htm

(This editorial blog was brought to you by the letters N-C-L and B and the number 3!!!!)

3 comments:

Ross said...

Theories abound on what NCLB's actual intent is from a political stance (I've blogged a million times on it). Earlier, I thought it was so that the government could tighten their grip on what was being taught, but now, after it's gone so far and so long, it's a witch hunt, plain and simple.

The government wants to put schools on corrective action, step in, give in to private control, and privatize education, which would be a terrible thing.

Ashley said...

I really liked your link you provided. It adds another twist to NCLB that may be more understandable. When you read it thinking about football I think it really puts it into perspective. The practicality of the law is very low. We all know that not every team or student is the same. Also, sometimes a teacher can do everything to help a student learn and pass test but are not successful. This is not the teachers fault! I think more accountability needs to be put on the students. If they perform bad everyone says, “well it was the teachers fault.” Also, if you do not pass the test then you receive less funding. This is silly to me because obviously you need the funding to get more resources to help students!

Mike said...

I agree that NCLB was a political stance that has gone wild! There is no way to judge every student and every school by the same standard test, and we shouldn't rely on it. There is a better way, it just is not as cost efficient. Portfolios, that are worked on throughout the year, would allow every student incorporate authentic assignments into one book to show their mastery without studying and drilling for a test that happens on one day in May. The student can have been taught everything that is going to be on the test and due to unforseen circumstances-he/she might not do well. Is it the teacher's fault, the school's fault, or the student's fault. I think the answer is none of them. As you live a little longer, you realize you can't control everything and everything will not work out the way you want it to-so why should anyone be punished for uncontrollable circumstances. I finished high school before SOLs were even tested in Virginia. I'd like to think I am fairly intelligent-am I lying to myself, because I don't have a passing SOL score in my files, or is that only necessary if I want to make a public claim to being smart?